Introduction of orthopaedics:
Orthopedics is an important branch of surgery. It deals with diseases of bones including fracture, infections, trauma, neoplasm etc. It also deals with diseases of muscle, tendons, ligaments, nerves and vessels.
Origin of orthopaedics:
The word ‘Orthopaedics’ came from two Greek words:
Orthon = Straight
Paidion = Child
This term first adopted by Nicolus Andry (1658-1742)
Branches of orthopaedics:
All the orthopaedic diseases can be grouped in 7 easily remembered pairs.
- Congenital & developmental abnormalities
- Infection & inflammation
- Arthritis & Rheumatic disorder
- Metabolic & endocrine disorder
- Tumours & lesions that mimic them
- Sensory disturbances & muscle weakness
- Injury & mechanical derangement