How to Reduce PST File Size By Compacting It
The major reason for concern for most of the Outlook users is the increasing size of the PST File. As the size of the Outlook file grows larger, it becomes more vulnerable to corruption. In today’s scenario, the files are running in Unicode format. These files are also becoming susceptible to corruption. The problem associated with these oversized and bulky files is basically their slow performance. In order to solve these problems, users are required to reduce PST file size and break them into smaller parts.
“I am having issues with Outlook. I noticed the problem due to an oversized PST file (about 30GB!). Every time when I try to open the file, Outlook gets crashed. I was wondering if there is a reliable tool which would help to reduce PST file by compacting it. So that I can at least open the file and clean it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.”
Need To Reduce PST File Size:
Given below are some problems due to which it becomes necessary to reduce the size of PST File:
- When the Outlook PST file is about to reach its limit, then the speed of the Outlook becomes moderately slow.
- Outlook doesn’t allow users to save their data to the existing folder as there is no or very less empty space left in the Outlook data file.
- These PST files on reaching their limit make it inaccessible for the user to access their data in Outlook.
Due to the above-given problems, it becomes necessary to reduce the size of the Outlook PST files.
2 Easy Techniques To Reduce PST file size:
Given below will be the 2 methods to reduce Outlook data file size: First one will be the manual methods with & without Outlook and the second one will be done using a third party tool.
Manual Solutions To Reduce PST File Outlook 2016/13/10/07/:
Few of the many manual solutions available are given below to reduce file size with Outlook 2016/13/10/07/03/02:
Method#1 “Import And Export” Feature:
- Open MS Outlook and click File → Account Settings.
- In Account Settings, Click on Data Files → Add.
- Open Outlook PST files dialogue box will pop up on the screen. Give the name and location of the newly created PST file. Click OK.
- Click on File → open → import. An export and import window will appear on the screen.
- Click Export to a file option and then Next.
- Select Outlook PST file then click Next, choose folders and items and click
- Browse the location to store newly created Outlook PST file.
- Before exporting the item, select any option given and click
- Create Outlook PST file window will pop up on the screen. If you want to set a password then you can set otherwise click Cancel.
Method#2 With “Archive” Feature:
- Open MS Outlook and after that open the Outlook file that you want to move.
- Navigate through File → Cleanup Tools box →
- Archive window will appear on the system. Now choose “Archive the folder and subfolders” check box.
- Now, Select the folder that you want to move. You can also choose the items older than a particular date by choosing “Archive items older than” option.
- Browse to select the location of newly created Outlook file to store items and click OK.
Method#3 With “Move To Folder”:
- Open MS Outlook, then click on File → New → Outlook Data File.
- Select Outlook PST file in New Outlook File then click OK.
- A new window will appear on the screen, as Create Microsoft Personal Folder and will provide a new name to the Outlook data file. This name will be used in the Mail Folders
- Select Edit → Move to Folder then in Move items and click New.
- Provide name to the newly created PST file in the Create New Folder dialog box appeared on the screen and choose new Outlook PST file in Select where to place the folder section and click
- Select the new folder to save newly created PST file within Move items and click OK.
Limitations of Manual Method To Reduce The PST File Size:
There are various manual methods available to reduce the PST file size. Few of them are also discussed above, that can be used by the users to reduce PST size without Outlook. However, Every manual procedure has some limitations that are faced by the users while using these methods. All the manual solutions are very lengthy and time-consuming. The one more major disadvantage of manual methods is that after applying these methods to Outlook PST files, they become more vulnerable to data loss. Moreover, any of them is not a proper solution to reduce the file size. Therefore, to have an easy-to-use and reliable solution, users can opt a third party tool.
Trouble-Free Alternative To reduce PST File Size Without Outlook:
The Manual Method to reduce the PST file size without Outlook is very helpful. But if one is looking for a professional solution by which the users are not required to follow the complex steps with the fear of losing the data, then one should opt for “SysTools Split PST tool”. This software can easily reduce PST file size without Outlook including emails, calendars, contacts, etc. It works reliably and is capable split large PST files into smaller ones without any file size limitation.
- Reduce Oversize PST files into smaller ones by date, size, year or folder
- Supports reducing file size of the newly created PST files and archive PST files
- splits both UNICODE as well as ANSI PST files
- Capable of Creating Log Report to compare the files
- Creates new folders to save newly created Outlook data files
We all know that there are multiple methods available both manual method and automated method to reduce PST file size. Both the methods to reduce file size have their own merits and demerits. But still, a third party solution is more preferred over the manual method among the users as it comes with user- friendly interface and allows the user to correctly and efficiently reduce Outlook data file size.
- All Result 2016