As we know that Windows 10’s minimum requirements are pretty much the same as Windows 7/ 8 with around 20GB of free space. Usually 25GB of free space is the best choice for windows users, however, some of the windows users get low disk space warning of C Drive or the system partition after upgrading to windows 10. If there are free space on other existing partitions, then you could extend C drive easily with windows built-in disk management and third-party disk program. Here we will introduce the two methods to do that.
How to Extend C Drive System Partition in Windows 10 Freely?
Note: We do suggest you make a backup with your important data before trying to do the extend system partition and it’s a rule that every step with system partition should be paid attention to. We recommend you to create a system backup to USB drives.
How to Extend System Partition with Windows built-in Tool Disk Management
- Right click My Computer and then click Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management. Or open Run dialog box -> type diskmgmt.msc in the box -> Press Enter.
- Please select adjacent disk of your system partition, right click and choose the Shrink Volume to create free disk space. Please be careful that the disk you choose must be the adjacent of the C drive.
- Select C drive, right click again and click Extend Volume option to select the maximum free space, then add to C drive.
From the above steps, you can see that there are some limitations in the built-in tool. Only the contiguous unallocated space beside the system partition can be merged. Furthermore, only windows 10/8.1/8/7/2008/2012 support the function of shrink and extend the partition. Thus, you can please try the second solution to extend system partition.
Extend System Partition Using AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (Free) Version
AOMEI Partition Assistant is the best free windows partition manager. The main advantage of this program can merge those unallocated space if they are not adjacent with the target partition. It also supports the shrink partition & extends partition feature for windows 2000/XP/2003.
- Download, install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard;
- Here we would like to take D drive as an example. Right, click D drive and choose Resize Partition.
By the way, if you have the unallocated space on the disk, you can please click the merge partitions and merge directly;
- Then you will be the Move and Resize Partition workflow, select the exact free space you want to, move the slider and shrink the partition;
- After finishing shrinking, right click the system partition and choose the Resize Partition. Move the slider to the rightwards to extend partition and don’t forget to click Apply button to take effect.
If you have more question on How to Extend C Drive System Partition in Windows 10 Freely, feel free to comment below.
- Shrink Volume Freely Windows 10